The calcium in yogurt is better absorbed when eaten in combination with vitamin D, so serve this sauce with a vitamin D source such as fatty fish or at a picnic outside in the sunshine (sun exposure increases vitamin D production).Makes 3 cups
- 2 cups plain yogurt (lowfat or whole)•2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper, optional
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- Mix yogurt with olive oil, garlic, mint, salt, and pepper. Add lemon juice until desired consistency is reached. Stir in cucumber.
- Serve with pita and vegetables as a snack, or atop a main dish such as grilled fish, chicken, or other protein source.