A hearty Mediterranean-inspired vegetarian soup with melted-cheese crostini.
- 1 small onion diced or sliced
- 1 carrot diced or sliced
- 4 each mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas or garbanzo beans cooked
- 1 cup pasta cooked
- 10 oz vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh herbs of your choice
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 sliced artisan style hearth bread
- ¼ cup shredded gruyere cheese ( or substitute your favorite melting cheese)
- Warm oil in small pot. Add the onion, carrot and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes over medium low heat. Do not brown.
- Add the tomato and herbs. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the broth or water and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 5 minutes then add the mushrooms, kale and cooked chickpeas. Bring to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add pasta and bring to simmer one last time for1 minute.
- To make the crostini simply toast the bread in your toaster then top with grated cheese and melt In oven.