Thanksgiving alternatives: a sweet squash side that pleases.
RECIPEMakes six 1/2 cup servings
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes for about 3 cups
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic,onions, brown sugar and dried oregano. Place in a roasting pan or on a sheet pan and spread in a single layer. Roast for 30 – 45 minutes until the squash is tender. Stir the vegetables periodically during roasting to ensure even cooking.
- Toss with chopped fresh parsley and salt. Serve 1/2 cup portions warm or cold.