Have your cake and eat your healthy fats too with this moist and nutty dessert.Serves 8-12
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Grated zest of 1/2 an orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan or springform pan.
- Whisk together almond meal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with sugar. Add olive oil and continue to mix until mixture has thickened, about 1 minute. Incorporate vanilla and almond extracts, zest, and orange juice and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cake is cooked thoroughly and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Serve cake on its own; topped with berries, mascarpone, or creme fraiche; or with coffee or tea.
*Use green olives for a brighter flavor.